Monday, October 22, 2018

MakerSpaces on TV!

Right before school started, I got an email from my friend, Emily Greene, the administrator of NKY MakerSpace. Kentucky Life, a show on KET public television, wanted to do a spot on makerspaces in Kentucky.  Emily asked if I would be willing to bring a class to her makerspace for the filming.  It didn't take me long to respond with a big resounding YES!!!!!

We got our fifth grade on board, and had to move quickly with permission slips, letters home, and media releases.  There's nothing quite as crazy as having a field trip on the sixth day of school with TV cameras rolling. Oh, and for an extra bit of stress, the district superintendent was wondering through the classes as well.

While Emily taught about electrical circuits in one room, I was teaching Makey Makey in another. Of course, it was a chaotic mess. If you've ever used Makey Makey, you know that things can get loud. You know what? It was fun! Students earned badges.  They explored. We all learned. It was an amazing day, and I'm so glad we did it!









Of course, I have to remind myself that the real reason for Yealey Elementary being at the makerspace was to create a realistic look for the cameras.  But, it's always nice when someone shares the spotlight with you.

Below is the video that aired on KET. And, I had no idea Duncan Hines was a real person or that he was from Kentucky.  Wow! (We come on around 4:00, but I was really into the Kre8Now segment before it too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments System

Disqus Shortname