Friday, August 26, 2016

Chrome Camps

There is such excitement in the air this year as our students are walking into a really sweet deal.   Every third, fourth, and fifth grade student gets their own Chromebook to use in school.  And they are (literally) squealing with delight.

My job this week has been to run "Chrome Camp," where I go into each of the twelve classes using the Chrome books and to teach them the ropes.  It's been both fun and exhausting!  It's great to joke with them, walk through all the icky rule stuff, and help them get started.  I've also enjoyed photobombing their profile pictures.  The great thing is that these kids see me as "the keeper of the Chromebooks," so I walk into their room as a superhero before I even open my mouth.

However, it's exhausting work too. I'm not used to not having my own classes.  I'm really just a visitor in these classrooms.  I don't know the kids, their teachers, or the class culture yet. And I'm well aware that there is more on display than the wonderful Chromebooks I'm talking about.  There have been numerous with login info, and it's been hairy getting the students off and running

Overall, it's been awesome to get into classrooms and start the process of moving my school toward blending learning.  Setting up the Chromebooks is understandably one small step in the process but it's been an important one.  And I'm feeding off the students' enthusiasm.



Here are some main themes of my Chrome Camp talk.
  • What 1:1 means and who really owns the Chromebook.
  • How to take care of your Chromebook.
  • Things to do and not to do with your Chromebook (both the physical machine and digital content).
  • Parts of the Chromebook.
  • Log in and make a profile picture.
  • Sign the Chromebook Contract. 
The contract is a Google Form where students read and agree to statements about treating the Chromebook correctly while being good digital citizens.  This can be used if a student displays improper use of the technology and we need to have "an uncomfortable conversation" with them.

Since I am not the originator of the presentation or the contract, I need to create an original version of these before I can post them on the blog.  Hold on tight.

How are you kicking off your year with Chromebooks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments System

Disqus Shortname